I made a lotus flower design for this paper lotus tutorial that includes both the template for lotus flower SVG petals and a printable watercolor version.
I’ve been on a watercolor kick and painted a bunch of petals with the intention of making paper flowers with them. I thought this pink one suited the lotus flower.
I made two templates for this paper flower. One that is just the PDF and SVG cut file that has the petal layers in place.
I’ve also included a transparent PNG of the petals for those with cutting machines and want to preserve the watercolor effect and the raw edges of the petal.
*this article contains affiliate links for your convenience, see full disclosures here
Materials for DIY Lotus Flower
Cardstock – I used cardstock for the base. It is also possible to make the flower out of cardstock. Here are some of my favorite cardstock brands that I use frequently:
- Assorted Starter Pack – Basic assorted colors, great starter pack, perfect weight for most papercraft projects
- Cricut Joy Insert Card Packs – You don’t have to use these with the Cricut Joy, they are nice material kids for cardmaking.
- Cardstock Warehouse Brand on Amazon – I love the quality of all the matte-colored cardstock with Cardstock Warehouse. It is my go-to brand for individual matte colors that I might need
- Poptone Assorted Variety Pack – This is the perfect peppy assortment of colors of heavy cardstock. It’s a heavy cardstock assortment with colors I actually use frequently for cardmaking.
- Seasonal Assorted Variety Pack – This is a slight variation on the Poptone assortment and has a quite few neutrals that complement almost any accent color.
- Stardream Metallics Line – For paper crafts, the Stardream line is the go-to for a metallic shimmer finish. It is the perfect sheen to make any project pop. The core is also colored is which hard to find for metallic paper.
Vellum or Tracing Paper – I printed the watercolor petals on transparent paper to create a translucent petal. This is the vellum paper I got from Amazon.
Template – I’ve included both the lotus flower template printable watercolor petals and lotus flower template PDF and SVG cut files for free in my resource library.
Paper Lotus Tutorial
Step 1: Print and cut the lotus petal template.
A few things to note on this step. If you are printing on vellum, leave it to dry for at least 5 minutes or else you risk smearing the ink.
To upload a transparent PNG (the watercolor petal) in Cricut Design Space, be sure to use the “Complex” then “Save as a Print and Cut” options to preserve the details. Also, if your machine is having a hard time picking up the border, try shading your machine or turning off the lights in the room.
Step 2: Curl the lotus petals
I like using a scraper or credit card if that is more convenient.
Step 3: Glue the petals on
I included a base reference template. I like gluing the petals on individually because it gives more control on the symmetry.
DIY Watercolor Rolled Paper Flower
2 thoughts on “Paper Lotus Flower Template”
I signed in with my name and email address. I still can’t find a link to any of the svgs. There is no link in the bar at the top of the page.
Please use the search bar in the Free Resources Library to search for a design template.
Write to us at email@example.com with the name and image of the design you are looking for, and our elf will send it over.