Plumeria flowers are the ultimate tropical flower and now you can bring a little bit of vacation mode home with you with this paper plumeria template.
I have fond memories of plumeria flowers. On our honeymoon in Bali, I had booked just a regular room at a beach resort because I thought the suites were outrageously priced.
Somehow, when we got there, they decided to upgrade us for free to the villa. Maybe they had a slow week. This was the only time in my life I got to stay in a villa, with a private pool!
Room service would sprinkle these little flowers all over our bed every day after cleaning. They would only last a day or so but while they were fresh, they looked picture perfect.
I wanted to recreate a version of that flower that would last a little longer.
It’s not quite like getting them in a private beach resort villa in Bali but it’ll do for now.
*this article contains affiliate links for your convenience, see full disclosures here
Materials for Paper Plumeria Flowers
Cardstock – Plumeria flowers come in all sorts of colors. This is a relatively simple design but I would still recommend a medium weight paper with a colored core if you are cutting it with a cutting machine. Here are some of my favorite brands:
- Recollection Assorted Starter Pack – Basic assorted colors, great starter pack, perfect weight for most papercraft projects
- Metallic Shimmer Assorted Set from Amazon – This set is a little lighter in weight but the colors are beautiful in 3D
- Cardstock Warehouse Brand on Amazon – I love the quality of all the matte colored cardstock with Cardstock Warehouse. It is my go-to brand for individual matte colors that I might need
- Stardream Metallics Line – For paper crafts, the Stardream line is the go to for a metallic shimmer finish. It is the perfect sheen to make any project pop. The core is also colored is which hard to find for metallic paper.
- Assorted Pink Set from Paper Paper – This is a must-have for paper flower makers. The variety is perfect to create a bouquet.
- Assorted Purple Set from Paper Paper – This is another must-have for paper flower makers. I love the variety of finishes in this pack.
- Metallic Variety Set from Paper Paper – I don’t know any avid paper crafter that doesn’t use Stardream metallics line of shimmer paper. It is the only metallic cardstock line that I know of that has such variety and has colored cores.
Glue – I recommend a polymer based glue for this project
Template – This paper plumeria flower template is available for free in both SVG and printable PDF formats in my free resource library.
Making Paper Plumeria Flowers
Cutting the template
I like using my Cricut to cut these templates. I use a light grip blue mat which seems sufficient for this design.
This is a super simple template and can easily be cut with just a pair of scissors. However, if you are going to make a bunch, I highly recommend getting the cutting machine.
Coloring the Petals
I just color the inside corner of the petal with the oil pastel and then smear it out with a q-tip. A tissue works as well.
Watercolors work as well but the center of this particular template is a little fragile and the water weakens the paper and you risk it falling apart.
Curling the petals
I like to use the end of a brush or a pin to curl this petal. I simple align the brush end along the vertical of the petal and roll the paper between my fingers using the brush as a guide.
Gluing the petals
I actually tried a few different designs.; some had individual petals, some had wider petals. I ended up with this design because I like to avoid individual petals when possible because it makes it more difficult to keep the flower symmetrical.
I like the petals to be barely overlapping. I found the hot glue gun to work slightly better in this case because it dries really fast. I just add the tiniest dab on one side of the petal and then hold the adjacent petal in place for about 10 seconds.
Here’s a picture of the an actual plumeria from our honeymoon. I managed to dig up a picture after all these years. These modern camera phones and cloud storage is quite amazing. Not quite the same but paper one will last forever.