I designed this chrysanthemum template with the intention of making it on the Cricut.
While it is possible to make this flower by hand, I would highly recommend using a cutting machine like a Cricut or Silhouette.
With a cutting machine, this is super easy to make. The flower looks great as wall art or placed on floral stems in a bouquet.
*this article contains affiliate links for your convenience, see full disclosures here
Materials for Paper Chrysanthemum
Cardstock – Because there are so many intricate petals in this design, I would recommend using a non-textured cardstock with a colored core. The paper weight doesn’t matter as much. Textured cardstock tends to have white cores and doesn’t cut as well for detailed designs. Here are some of my favorite cardstock brands. I used the Metallic Shimmer assortment and Neenah collections for the flowers you see in the photos.
- Recollection Assorted Starter Pack – Basic assorted colors, great starter pack, perfect weight for most papercraft projects
- Metallic Shimmer Assorted Set from Amazon – This set is a little lighter in weight but the colors are beautiful in 3D
- Cardstock Warehouse Brand on Amazon – I love the quality of all the matte colored cardstock with Cardstock Warehouse. It is my go-to brand for individual matte colors that I might need
- Stardream Metallics Line – For paper crafts, the Stardream line is the go to for a metallic shimmer finish. It is the perfect sheen to make any project pop. The core is also colored is which hard to find for metallic paper.
- Assorted Pink Set from Paper Paper – This is a must-have for paper flower makers. The variety is perfect to create a bouquet.
- Assorted Purple Set from Paper Paper – This is another must-have for paper flower makers. I love the variety of finishes in this pack.
- Metallic Variety Set from Paper Paper – I don’t know any avid paper crafter that doesn’t use Stardream metallics line of shimmer paper. It is the only metallic cardstock line that I know of that has such variety and has colored cores.
Glue – I like tacky glue but a glue gun works too
Floral Stems – There are many floral stems to choose from on Amazon. I like the 18 gauge ones for this project.
Template – My paper chrysanthemum SVG cut file and printable flower template are free and available in my resource library.
Tips on Making these DIY Paper Chrysanthemum Flowers
Step 1: First cut all of the petal layers out.
Step 2: Curl the petals using either a scraper or a credit card. Hold the base of the petal as you are doing this and be gentle as to not tear the petal.
If a petal does tear off, just let it be. This is a very forgiving design and no one will notice if you are missing a petal.
Step 3: Glue each layer on top of each other starting with the largest as the base and working upwards.