There are so many different types of large paper flowers to be made. I decided to dedicate a whole series to ones with interesting centerpieces.
To be honest, this was not the most fun set of flowers I’ve made. It took a long time to make and arrange and glue each petal. That’s why I’m so into the rolled and semi-rolled paper flowers, they are so much easier.
There is something to be said though for the different aesthetic you can achieve with being able to arrange each petal differently.
In this post, I will share some of my tips on how to best make these flowers.
*this article contains affiliate links for your convenience, see full disclosures here
Recommended materials for giant paper flowers
Cardstock – I like to use medium weight cardstock with a colored core. It flexes easily and doesn’t have white frayed edges. Here are my favorite brands:
- Assorted Starter Pack – Basic assorted colors, great starter pack, perfect weight for most papercraft projects
- Cricut Joy Insert Card Packs – You don’t have to use these with the Cricut Joy, they are nice material kids for cardmaking.
- Cardstock Warehouse Brand on Amazon – I love the quality of all the matte-colored cardstock with Cardstock Warehouse. It is my go-to brand for individual matte colors that I might need
- Poptone Assorted Variety Pack – This is the perfect peppy assortment of colors of heavy cardstock. It’s a heavy cardstock assortment with colors I actually use frequently for cardmaking.
- Seasonal Assorted Variety Pack – This is a slight variation on the Poptone assortment and has a quite few neutrals that complement almost any accent color.
- Stardream Metallics Line – For paper crafts, the Stardream line is the go-to for a metallic shimmer finish. It is the perfect sheen to make any project pop. The core is also colored is which hard to find for metallic paper.
Glue – Here are a couple of my favorites for paper flowers:
- Art Glitter Glue – All-purpose non-toxic polymer glue with a fine tip, dries fast with minimal paper warping.
- Hot Glue Gun – My favorite cordless hot glue gun, an essential for fast petal to petal gluing
Cutting Machine – It’s not absolutely necessary for this paper flower series but it sure makes things go faster. I use the Cricut.
Template – I’ve created a set of 9 with interesting center pieces.
Sign up for my templates and tutorials newsletter and get access to my resource library with this set of templates and much more!
Tutorial for making these giant paper flowers
Step 1: Cut out all the petals
Step 2: Glue the base tabs together. I like using a paperclip to hold it together as the glue sets. The only thing worse than watching paint dry is watching glue dry. har har 🙂
Step 3: Curl the petals after the glue is set.
Step 4: Use the base hexagon cutout as a reference and glue the outside ring of the largest petals. I personally found 6 petals works the best of these flowers. You can use more or less petals but you will have to make yourself a different reference base.
For some of the petals, I found the inner most ring only needed 5 petals.
Be sure to offset the petals for each ring relative to the other rings.
Step 4: Add the center piece.
All Giant Flower Templates and Tutorials
All Rolled Flower Templates and Tutorials
6 thoughts on “9 Giant Paper Flower with Fun Centers”
Love the Flowers
I just wanted to ask if you have a website that I can order paper ?..I live in Puerto Rico and we don’t have Michaels Or Joann’s ? and sometimes Amazon Don’t delivery here
hmm, that’s a tough one, I’m not super familiar with retailers and their shipping policies. Most of the paper products from Michaels/Joanns and Amazon comes from China. Maybe check with some of the direct from China sites like alibaba.com?
ive signed up but never got an email with the password to get the templates
just sent you an email about it.
What size do you cut these out at to make them “Giant”?
It depends on your cardstock. I’ve made 2 petals from 1 letter sized sheet which makes a roughly foot wide flower. If you only do 1 petal per letter sheet, it’s about a 2 foot wide flowers.