This is a tutorial for a relatively easy rolled paper sunflower tutorial with free SVG templates.
I was gifted a nice bouquet of flowers the other day and it included a few sunflowers. The sunflower outlasted all the other flowers in the bouquet.
It reminded me I wanted to add to my suite of paper flower templates one for the sunflower but I’ve been putting it off because I didn’t want to glue each petal. I also wanted an easy way to make the core without it looking tacky.
Well, problem solved! I used my base rolled core and then re-purposed my lint roller to pick up all the scraps leftover from cutting the center piece.
Aren’t they cute?!
*this article contains affiliate links for your convenience, see full disclosures here
Recommended Materials for Paper Sunflower
Cardstock– You will need at least 2 colors for this sunflower. While you might be able to get away with a white core cardstock for the petals, I would recommend a colored core cardstock for the center piece because it will fray a little and white frayed pieces don’t look good.
My favorite is this Neehah Collections brand, it’s super affordable, comes in an assortment of colors, has a colored core so you can’t see fraying.
Here are some of my other favorite brands for paper flowers:
- Recollection Assorted Starter Pack – Basic assorted colors, great starter pack, perfect weight for most papercraft projects
- Metallic Shimmer Assorted Set from Amazon – This set is a little lighter in weight but the colors are beautiful in 3D
- Cardstock Warehouse Brand on Amazon – I love the quality of all the matte colored cardstock with Cardstock Warehouse. It is my go-to brand for individual matte colors that I might need
- Stardream Metallics Line – For paper crafts, the Stardream line is the go to for a metallic shimmer finish. It is the perfect sheen to make any project pop. The core is also colored is which hard to find for metallic paper.
- Assorted Pink Set from Paper Paper – This is a must-have for paper flower makers. The variety is perfect to create a bouquet.
- Assorted Purple Set from Paper Paper – This is another must-have for paper flower makers. I love the variety of finishes in this pack.
- Metallic Variety Set from Paper Paper – I don’t know any avid paper crafter that doesn’t use Stardream metallics line of shimmer paper. It is the only metallic cardstock line that I know of that has such variety and has colored cores.
Glue – If you are going to make the bouquet stemmed version of this, you will need a glue gun. If not, then Tacky Glue works.
Floral Stem – Only if you are going to make the bouquet version.
Template – I’ve included my flower SVG files for free in my resource library. I also included a little leaf base for the bouquet version.
Sign up for my free templates and tutorials newsletter and get your free Sunflower set:
Tutorial for Paper Sunflower
Step 1: Cut all the template pieces. Don’t forget to use some masking tape or lint roller to pick up all the small pieces from the mat.
I like to use either a really old green mat or the fresh blue mat.
Step 2: Roll the petals and glue in place. Sometimes I cheat and use tape to hold it in place while its drying.
Step 3: Curl the petals. I have this super professional tool that I use to curl things. (haha, jk, its the scraper for my cast iron skillet)
Step 4: Assemble the flower by gluing each layer on top of each other.
Step 5: For the bouquet, use tape to hold the base leaf loop at the tip of the stem
Step 6: Glue the base leaf to the stem from the inside. I used tacky glue here which didn’t work well. The glue gun is best for this part.
Step 7: Place some glue at the base of the flower and set it on top of the leaves