These Paper Magnolia are super easy to make with my Paper Magnolia Printable PDF and SVG Templates.
There are actually many types of magnolias. I decided to model my paper magnolia after the Southern Magnolia flower. This paper flower is quite simple and a great beginner paper flower for all crafters. It’s also quite elegant in its simplicity and can be spruced up with fancier shimmer cardstock.
In fact, this one is simple enough that you can probably just cut it by hand. I do use my Cricut cutting machine to make my paper flower but this design is totally doable by hand. It also works well with crepe paper which I recommend cutting by hand rather than with a cutting machine.
I’ve revised this paper template a few times now. The particular way the leaves curl on this flower is really well suited for metallic paper.
Material for Paper Magnolia Flower
*this article contains affiliate links for your convenience, see full disclosures here
Cardstock – I really like this one from Amazon but in general, I like to use medium weight cardstock (65lbs) with colored cores. Here’s some of my favorite brands:
- Recollection Assorted Starter Pack – Basic assorted colors, great starter pack, perfect weight for most papercraft projects
- Metallic Shimmer Assorted Set from Amazon – This set is a little lighter in weight but the colors are beautiful in 3D
- Cardstock Warehouse Brand on Amazon – I love the quality of all the matte colored cardstock with Cardstock Warehouse. It is my go-to brand for individual matte colors that I might need
- Stardream Metallics Line – For paper crafts, the Stardream line is the go to for a metallic shimmer finish. It is the perfect sheen to make any project pop. The core is also colored is which hard to find for metallic paper.
- Assorted Pink Set from Paper Paper – This is a must-have for paper flower makers. The variety is perfect to create a bouquet.
- Assorted Purple Set from Paper Paper – This is another must-have for paper flower makers. I love the variety of finishes in this pack.
- Metallic Variety Set from Paper Paper – I don’t know any avid paper crafter that doesn’t use Stardream metallics line of shimmer paper. It is the only metallic cardstock line that I know of that has such variety and has colored cores.
Glue – I like tacky glue but a glue gun works too.
Template – This Magnolia Paper Flower Pattern template is available for free in both SVG and printable PDF formats in my resource library:
How to make a Paper Magnolia
Step 1: Cut your petal strips from the paper magnolia template
I like to use a light grip blue mat to cut this template using my Cricut. The design of this paper magnolia template is not so intricate that a light grip mat can’t handle it. It makes clean up a lot easier.
Step 2: Glue each petal strip into a loop
A small dab of glue is enough. If you are using glue that take time to dry, you can use a paper clip to hold it in place.
Step 3: Curl the petals
Curl the outer loop petals outwards. Curl the inner/smaller loop petals inwards.
Step 4: Glue the layers together
Smear some glue on the base circle and place the larger loop on the base.
Glue the inner loop to the base making sure the petals are offset.
Step 5: Make Paper Magnolia Stamen
Cut by hand the extra strip of paper to make frills. Then roll the fills strip and glue to the center of the flower
I’ve used this paper magnolia in lots of other craft projects including this diaper cake I made for my friend’s baby shower. Check out all my other rustic baby shower decor templates here.
If this magnolia-inspired paper flower looks like it might be too much for you, let me give you a few additional pointers. I did cut my paper flower using my Cricut cutting machine but these magnolia paper petals are easy to replicate. In fact, out of all my paper flower designs, I’d recommend this ones a starter flower especially if you are cutting it by hand.
Now, just a reminder, make sure to prepare all your materials and tools before starting your craft. You can visit your local craft store for the following. You can also browse Amazon or other online stores for deals (you can check the links too!). Regardless, find what works for you.
I like Magnolia flowers, especially during spring. I remembered seeing one in its full bloom, and I was just awe-struck. I wanted to pick one and have it last with me for the rest of my life. Well, that idea is impossible, so I need a solution. And, I kind of found it by making magnolia paper flowers.
With this paper flower craft, you can choose any color you wanted. At the same time, why not make a small bouquet out of it for a special occasion? Maybe, you wanted to surprise your sister or your mother this Christmas or any special occasion. They will surely love this one-of-a-kind gesture. You can also make a bouquet out of all the paper flowers tutorials we have on this site! So, make sure to check out the other tutorials as well!