I made a giant paper flower template for the Cricut but this one can be done by hand as well. This tutorial includes free printable templates. This giant rose made out of cardstock is ideal for backdrops and wall decor.
My big challenge in creating this tutorial was to figure out the easiest way to make this flower. It’s hard though unless you have a giant roll of paper, these big wall flowers require assembly of each individual petal.
I figured out a way to minimize the work but it still is not as fast as my other paper flowers. If you are interested, here’s a sample of my other paper flower tutorials.
First, let’s gather our materials
Giant Paper Flower Materials
*this article contains affiliate links for your
Cardstock – While it is possible to make this out of copy paper, the petals will hold up much better if it is done with cardstock. Here are some of my favorite cardstock to use for paper flowers:
- Recollection Assorted Starter Pack – Basic assorted colors, great starter pack, perfect weight for most papercraft projects
- Metallic Shimmer Assorted Set from Amazon – This set is a little lighter in weight but the colors are beautiful in 3D
- Cardstock Warehouse Brand on Amazon – I love the quality of all the matte colored cardstock with Cardstock Warehouse. It is my go-to brand for individual matte colors that I might need
- Stardream Metallics Line – For paper crafts, the Stardream line is the go to for a metallic shimmer finish. It is the perfect sheen to make any project pop. The core is also colored is which hard to find for metallic paper.
- Assorted Pink Set from Paper Paper – This is a must-have for paper flower makers. The variety is perfect to create a bouquet.
- Assorted Purple Set from Paper Paper – This is another must-have for paper flower makers. I love the variety of finishes in this pack.
- Metallic Variety Set from Paper Paper – I don’t know any avid paper crafter that doesn’t use Stardream metallics line of shimmer paper. It is the only metallic cardstock line that I know of that has such variety and has colored cores.
Glue – I like to use Tacky Glue but a Glue gun works too
Stapler – Glue works too but you’ll have to wait longer for the glue to dry on each petal
Template – I spent some time trying to get the proportions right. My template is free and available in my resource library for anyone that might be interested.
Tutorial for Giant Paper Rose
Step 1: Cutting the petals
Step 2: Preparing each petal
This is where the stapler really speeds things up. I just overlap the slit at the base of the petal and staple
Step 3: Starting with the largest set of prepared petals, I start stapling them together into a loop.
There should be 6 petals in the outer loop.
Step 4: Repeat step 2 and 3 for the inner loop.
Step 5: Take the really wide petal cut out and roll it up into a tube. Wrap the last petal around this and staple the base.
Step 6: Working from the outside in, I start gluing the layers together. Be sure to offset the petals.
I found putting a jar of some sort after 2 layers in the center helps compress and the glue to correctly.
Also, I found it easiest to use a pencil or pen to be the most effective at curling the petals. I just start rolling the petal edge around the pencil.