No holiday decorating craft project is complete without some extra snowflakes to liven up the place.
I love making paper snowflake decorations. They make for a great addition to larger decorating projects but then can also stand on their own. From ornaments to window decor to cardmaking, paper snowflakes are the most versatile craft item during the holiday season.
Cricut snowflake template
*this article contains affiliate links for your convenience, see full disclosures here
Materials for DIY snowflake decorations
Cardstock – I love using medium weight cardstock for paper snowflake projects. Here are some of my favorite brands:
- Assorted Starter Pack – Basic assorted colors, great starter pack, perfect weight for most papercraft projects
- Cricut Joy Insert Card Packs – You don’t have to use these with the Cricut Joy, they are nice material kids for cardmaking.
- Cardstock Warehouse Brand on Amazon – I love the quality of all the matte-colored cardstock with Cardstock Warehouse. It is my go-to brand for individual matte colors that I might need
- Poptone Assorted Variety Pack – This is the perfect peppy assortment of colors of heavy cardstock. It’s a heavy cardstock assortment with colors I actually use frequently for cardmaking.
- Seasonal Assorted Variety Pack – This is a slight variation on the Poptone assortment and has a quite few neutrals that complement almost any accent color.
- Stardream Metallics Line – For paper crafts, the Stardream line is the go-to for a metallic shimmer finish. It is the perfect sheen to make any project pop. The core is also colored is which hard to find for metallic paper.
Glue – For paper projects, I also have a few recommendations for glues to use that dry fast and don’t warp paper.
Cricut – I use a cutting machine to do some of the cutting for this project. This of course is optional but it sure makes things go faster. Check out my reviews for Best Cricut machines for beginners if you’re new to the Cricut.
These paper snowflake SVG templates and printable snowflake patterns are available for free in my resource library.
Paper snowflake patterns
DIY Snowflake Decorations
How to make a 3D Paper Snowflake
First, cut out all the squares for the 3D snowflake. There are 6 different squares that will each make a 3D wedge of the snowflake.
With each square, alternate side with the cut-out flaps and glue them together. Then glue each triangular wedge next to each other into a star.
Attach a string to this if you plan on hanging it up.