Nothing screams holidays like candy canes. This is a round-up of my favorite candy cane craft ideas.
I have a confession to make. As soon as Halloween is over, I start scouring the ice cream aisle at our local grocery store for Haagen Daz peppermint bark ice cream. It is a seasonal flavor and sells out as soon as it hits the shelves. I’m a bit of a peppermint ice cream connoisseur. If it exists, I’ve tried it. Sometimes the base ice cream is not good. I’m not a big fan of the chocolate ice cream base for peppermint ice cream for some reason. Sometimes the ratio of peppermint bark to ice cream is all off. Sometimes it is too pepperminty. But Haagen Daz has perfected peppermint bark ice cream. I highly recommend it.
Now back to crafting. In celebration of my favorite holiday treat, I have a number of different candy cane crafts that involve fewer calories. From elf limbs to reindeer antlers, there are so many fun craft ideas that you can do with candy canes. I love adding mini candy canes as gift wrapping tags or fillers for gift bags during the holidays as well.
Whether you are using the base candy cane template or using the actual candy cane as the base, the possibilities are endless.
*this article contains affiliate links for your convenience, see full disclosures here
Materials for Candy Cane crafts
Candy Canes – My favorite are these mini individually wrapper organic candy canes. For bigger candy canes, Branch makes a super affordable box that’s great for any craft projects.
Cardstock – I have a few favorite brands for papercraft projects. I suggest using at least medium-weight cardstock.
- Assorted Starter Pack – Basic assorted colors, great starter pack, perfect weight for most papercraft projects
- Cricut Joy Insert Card Packs – You don’t have to use these with the Cricut Joy, they are nice material kids for cardmaking.
- Cardstock Warehouse Brand on Amazon – I love the quality of all the matte-colored cardstock with Cardstock Warehouse. It is my go-to brand for individual matte colors that I might need
- Poptone Assorted Variety Pack – This is the perfect peppy assortment of colors of heavy cardstock. It’s a heavy cardstock assortment with colors I actually use frequently for cardmaking.
- Seasonal Assorted Variety Pack – This is a slight variation on the Poptone assortment and has a quite few neutrals that complement almost any accent color.
- Stardream Metallics Line – For paper crafts, the Stardream line is the go-to for a metallic shimmer finish. It is the perfect sheen to make any project pop. The core is also colored is which hard to find for metallic paper.
Glue – I like to use glue that doesn’t warp the paper.
Cricut – I use a cutting machine to do some of the cutting for this project. This of course is optional but it sure makes things go faster. Check out my reviews for Best Cricut machines for beginners if you’re new to the Cricut.
Templates – These candy cane SVG and printable PDF templates are all available for free in my resource library.
Candy Cane craft ideas
I love adding a little candy cane to a gift as part of the wrapping. These hot chocolate packet gifts are an essential part of the gift. Check out my full tutorial on how to make these hot chocolate gifts for more details.
Whether Rudolph is your character of choice or you’re trying to do elf on the shelf with your kids, there’s an option in my template set for everyone.
DIY Candy Cane Gifts
Candy Cane Ornaments
I love edible ornaments that don’t have to go into storage. These cute elf candy cane ornaments can double as a craft activity to entertain the kids.
DIY Candy Cane Gift Tags
Candy canes are the perfect complement to any gift wrapping for the holidays. Whether it’s something small like a hot cocoa stir stick or a more luxury jewelry gift, these candy cane printable templates are the perfect addition to add to the festive mood.