I was too exhausted and overwhelmed to make a baby keepsake box for both my kids but I wish someone had for me.
Baby keepsake boxes make great personalized gifts for new mothers. Speaking from experience, they will look back and really appreciate it. That initial few months of a newborn seem to just go by in one big blur.
I love the idea of making a keepsake box using a shadow box. The possibilities for customization are endless. In addition to photos and other flat decorative cutouts, you can add additional memorabilities like their newborn wrist band or even a cute onesie or socks.
Shadow boxes are also really flexible when it comes to displaying your keepsake box. It can just sit on the dresser or hang on the wall.
I made a couple of designs here but in general layouts fall into a few camps. But first, a few material recommendations:
*this article contains affiliate links for your convenience, see full disclosures here
Materials for a shadow box for baby keepsakes
Shadow Box – I like lighter colored frames for baby shadow boxes. Here is one that I have from Amazon that has a linen backing in case you want to pin or glue piece directly to the backing. I also like this set of more rustic wood shadow box frames as well and have several of these in my collection too.
Cardstock – I cut my shapes out with my Cricut and I highly recommend cardstock with colored cores. Here are a few of my favorite brands:
- Recollection Assorted Starter Pack – Basic assorted colors, great starter pack, perfect weight for most papercraft projects
- Metallic Shimmer Assorted Set from Amazon – This set is a little lighter in weight but the colors are beautiful in 3D
- Cardstock Warehouse Brand on Amazon – I love the quality of all the matte colored cardstock with Cardstock Warehouse. It is my go-to brand for individual matte colors that I might need
- Stardream Metallics Line – For paper crafts, the Stardream line is the go to for a metallic shimmer finish. It is the perfect sheen to make any project pop. The core is also colored is which hard to find for metallic paper.
- Assorted Pink Set from Paper Paper – This is a must-have for paper flower makers. The variety is perfect to create a bouquet.
- Assorted Purple Set from Paper Paper – This is another must-have for paper flower makers. I love the variety of finishes in this pack.
- Metallic Variety Set from Paper Paper – I don’t know any avid paper crafter that doesn’t use Stardream metallics line of shimmer paper. It is the only metallic cardstock line that I know of that has such variety and has colored cores.
Glue – I recommend glue that does not warp the cardstock. Here are a few of my favorite brands that I use frequently:
Templates – These shadow box printable templates and Cricut Shadow box ideas are available in both SVG and PDF formats for free in my resource library.
Personalized Baby Shadow Boxes Ideas
All babies are born are their own special snowflake so their keepsake boxes should be no different.
Floral Monogram Shadow Box Frame Ideas
I love adding a monogram or name to the glass pane covering the keepsake items.
If you are making a baby shadow box as a gift and don’t have the items from the baby, this is a great way to customize the design with a base design of paper flowers or other design.
Check out all my free rolled paper flower templates and tutorials for the paper flowers to put in the box.
Jungle themes gender neutral baby shadow box
Not sure about the gender yet and still want to make something ahead of time? I’d suggest a theme with a gender-neutral color theme like jungle animals.
Simple newborn baby shadow box ideas
You don’t need to make a shadow box super busy jammed pack with stuff to make it special. Sometimes a cute interior frame and a few words are enough.
Balloons inspired keepsake box for babies
Is scrapbooking your thing? Then cute cutouts and layered shapes make for a perfect baby shadow box as well.